Camping in the wilderness is thrilling and exciting and the campfire can add more to the already building-up excitement. So, if you are jonesing to go out in the wilderness, fire can be really helpful at times. Fire can keep wild animals away from straying in your vicinity or it can be used as an emergency signal to call out other fellow campers. And if everything goes right, it can be used to build up excitement by setting up a campfire. Often times, the presence of matchsticks and lighters can do the wonders but you can’t really overlook the significance of fire starters. No matter what sort of weather is out there, fire starters will always be helpful in building up the fire. Below, we have jotted down the best firestarter for camping to help you find the right one for your next trip.
Table Of Content
- 1 Best Fire Starters For Camping
- 1.1 1. Gerber Bear Grylls Fire Starter
- 1.2 2. Better Wood Products Fatwood Firestarter Stick
- 1.3 3. UST BlastMatch Fire Starter
- 1.4 4. Lightning Strike Standard Fire Starter by Holland
- 1.5 5. überleben Zünden Firestarter For Camping
- 1.6 6. Zippo Emergency Fire Kit
- 1.7 7. SE 2-in-1 All-Weather Magnesium Firestarter Kit
- 1.8 8. Exotac nanoSTRIKER XL Ferrocerium Fire Starter
- 2 How To Choose The Best Firestarter For Camping?
- 3 Customer’s FAQs
Best Fire Starters For Camping
1. Gerber Bear Grylls Fire Starter
This fire starter from the Gerber’s range is one of the best fire starters for camping since it is inspired by the survivalist Bear Grylls. Gerber Bear Grylls Fire Starter is designed for professionals and is perfect for camping and hiking. It features an ergonomic design and its compact design is good for portage. The pendant-like design can be worn around your neck and it will always come handy when you need it. The compact design is capable enough to produce 8000 plus strikes that are large enough to build a campfire. There is a built-in whistle and a survival guide to help you survive the night.
Gerber Bear Grylls Fire Starter is designed using the durable plastic that holds both metal and the rod together. There is an extra space for the tinder at the back of the stick to generate large sparks for a long time. Check out the specifications of this firestarter for camping.
- Length: 4.8’’
- Weight: 2.6 oz.
Pros & Cons
2. Better Wood Products Fatwood Firestarter Stick
Enjoy your fun time with fire around since Better Wood Products Fatwood Firestarter Stick will make your life easy. These are 100% natural that is sourced from the stumps of the pine trees. There is nothing better than getting a firestarter that is safe, non-toxic and quickly ignites the fire. Even when the wood is wet, you can instantly burn the fire around your campsite – that’s how powerful they are. You never know when the weather takes an extreme turn and can put down your fire – this firestarter stick is waterproof. So, if you are looking to go out on a camping trip, it makes an excellent choice
Better Wood Products Fatwood Firestarter Stick comes in different options that are always up for grabs. You can choose from different sizes of boxes ranging from 5 lbs to 50 lbs. Take a look at the specifications of this firestarter stick.
- Length: 4.8’’
- Weight: 2.6 oz.
Pros & Cons
3. UST BlastMatch Fire Starter
When it comes to camping equipment, Ultimate Survival Technologies (UST) has become a household name in the industry since they meticulously craft their equipment. UST BlastMatch Firestarter for camping features a unique design and anyone who has a disabled arm can also use this to burn fire. This lightweight fire starter produces hot sparks with minimal efforts and its one-handed operation makes it popular. After the use, the flint packs back into the space to prevent any accidental sparks and it is capable to ignite a range of tinders. The one-handed operation means that you can adjust the tinder to set it on fire with ease. Another exciting thing is that the flint can be rotated 360 degrees to extend the lifespan of this fire starter. Take a look at the specifications of the UST BlastMatch Fire Starter.
- Dimensions : 4 x 0.5 x 1.5 inches
- Weight: 2.24 ounces.
Pros & Cons
4. Lightning Strike Standard Fire Starter by Holland
The need for fire becomes inevitable while you are camping during the winter season. Building up the fire under extreme conditions will need expertise and not every outdoor person is an expert. That’s when you can rely on Lightning Strike Standard Fire Starter by Holland to generate sparkling fire. On top of that, it also allows you for the one-hand operation while you are adjusting the position of the tinder. For those who have an arm injury, it becomes an essential survival gear to brave off the chilling winter breeze.
There is a waterproof cap that houses the rod to keep it dry during the time when it is raining heavily. After using the striker, you can put it back into the barrel. Setting up the fire in the extreme weather has never been so easy. On top of that, it comes in different colorways and you can choose from Dark Blue, Black Ops, Fiery Red, and Forrest Green. Check out the specifications of this firestarter for camping.
- Dimensions : 7.5 x 1 x 1 inches
- Weight: 4.3 ounces.
Pros & Cons
5. überleben Zünden Firestarter For Camping
Featuring a minimalist design and ergonomic handles, this fire starter remains a top choice for the campers out there. The handle is handcrafted using the hardwood that is traditionally inspired. The hardwood designed handle offers a superior grip to hand to throw down the flames to the tinder. Probably, that’s what you need to set up a fire. Another thing worth mentioning is that the striking part does not only act to ignite the spark. It acts as miniature tools – a ruler, a bottle opener, and a hex wrench.
Creating a spark is just quite smooth like a breeze. All you have to rage the striking part along the side of the rod and it will effortlessly produce flames and ignite the tinder. This firestarter for camping is available for grabs in 3 different models – Trad, Pro, Fatty.
- Dimensions – 0.5 x 2 x 6 inches
- Weight – 4 Ounces
Pros & Cons
6. Zippo Emergency Fire Kit
There are a few reasons that are enough to tell you why we have included this into our list of the best firestarters for camping. While for some people, starting a fire can be a terrible experience and for that reason, Zippo Emergency Fire Kit has got their back. You would be able to throw hot and large sparks to the tinder. This firestarter kit involves a totally different procedure – first, you light up the tinder and then place it in fuel. On the other hand, when you choose other fire starters, the procedure is totally opposite.
With this fire kit, you get 5 wax-coated cotton tinder that can ignite for long 5 minutes and the construction is totally water-proof so that the tinder always remains dry and free from moisture. The design is ergonomic and offers you a comfortable grip to hold it even in the toughest conditions. So, even if you happen to drop it in water, you don’t have to worry about tinder and instead, it will float in the water. This fire starter kit is portable and can be carried around easily.
- Dimensions – 1.2 x 1.2 x 4 inches
- Weight – 2.4 Ounces
Pros & Cons
7. SE 2-in-1 All-Weather Magnesium Firestarter Kit
Setting up fire can be beneficial at times since it can be a difference between death and life. Well, with the presence of this firestarter kit, you won’t have to spend an extra minute to build up fire around your campsite to warm your body. This pocket-sized kit will easily fit in your pockets so that you always have it handy when needed.
Even in the worst conditions, this fire starter kit is capable of producing fire even in the cold days. The presence of a mini compass is the nicest touch given to this piece of gear that will help you to navigate through the unfamiliar aisles of forests. The fact that it is reasonably priced is quite comforting since it is one of the most affordable options out there. Durability and waterproofness are other things that will surely make you fall in love with this gear.
- Dimensions – 3.4 x 1.4 x 0.8 inches
- Weight – 1.44 Ounces
Pros & Cons
8. Exotac nanoSTRIKER XL Ferrocerium Fire Starter
This ultra-small fire starter will ensure that you have your campfire ready and take your trip to another level. Exotac nanoSTRIKER XL Ferrocerium Fire Starter is a collapsible firestarter for camping that can instantly produce large sparks no matter the weather. Even if it rains out there, you can still be amazed to witness its functionality since the rain has the least impact on this. Featuring a compact design, it can easily fit in your pockets or key ring or even around your neck. You can always keep them handy and just a hand’s reach.
Exotac nanoSTRIKER XL Ferrocerium Fire Starter is capable to produce up to 3000 sparks. The replaceable ferrocerium rod can throw sparks at 5500 F degrees that can produce hot sparks and ignite the tinder instantly. Check out the specifications of this fire starter:
- Dimensions – 3.6 x 0.4 x 0.4 inches
- Weight – 0.6 Ounces
Pros & Cons
How To Choose The Best Firestarter For Camping?
There are a few things that you must know before buying a fire starter for your next survival adventure. We want you to get hold of the best firs starter stick so that you can always build up the fire when needed. Take a look at some of the factors that can influence your decision to buy a new fire starter.
- Weather – The first thing that you will have to consider is what type of weather you are going in. In case of extreme and harsh weather, it is really difficult to light the fire and produce a spark from your fire starter sticks. A place where the gusts of wind are blowing, it will simply put down your fire. Most of the firestarters will claim to be waterproof but that does not mean you can start a fire in the rain. That’s when you are most likely to go with a magnesium starter that could light up tinder even in the wet conditions. On the other hand, it would be a bit difficult to produce a spark from the ferrocerium rod when the weather takes an extreme turn.
- Ease Of Use – You want to have a fire starter that is simple, easy to use and generate long sparks for a longer time. Today’s best fire starters for camping are designed using simple methods and are quite comfortable to use. The striking of one part with another part is enough to generate fire. A firestarter that comes with a ferrocerium rod is able to produce spark faster and efficiently. You just have to strike the metal part with the ferrocerium rod to produce fire. Apart from this, you want to take a look at the design and how comfortable it feels to carry it in hand. Some of these fire starters are designed for the single-hand operation which means you can adjust the position of tinder accordingly.
- Durability – Durability remains another important consideration you need to take a look at. Once you strike things against each other, you know these things will wear off with time. A fire starter with ferrocerium rod is sure to last long for the years to come. On the other side, a magnesium rod will scrap off the surface very quickly and will quickly wear off, in no time. So, it totally depends upon how frequent you go out on a camping trip. The frequent you go, the sooner it will wear off.
- Size Matters – Fire starters come in a different size. You can find a fire starter with over an inch ranging to over 6 inches. You will be able to start a fire with even a smaller one but it is comparatively easier to burn the fire with a long ferrocerium rod. So, make sure whatever size you choose to go by, you must be comfortable with carrying it with yourself.
Fire Starter works in the same way when humans used to generate heat before civilization. The striking of two things produces heat and that heat is passed on to the tinder to create a fire.
Fire Starters use the same concept. They come with a metal that is struck against a ferrocerium rod to produce heat. The spark that is produced is directed to a tinder you have collected.
Fire Starters can last for years to come. A fire starter with ferrocerium rod can last long since they don’t wear down too easily. Well, the lifespan of them will depend upon product to product and how frequent you go on a camping trip.
On the other hand, the magnesium rod will scrap off too quickly and they don’t last long when compared with a ferrocerium rod.
One of the best things about fire starters is that they can produce sparks in any weather even when it is raining. So, you don’t have to worry about the weather. But you need to be careful of the tinder you have collected. You must ensure that it is dry completely.