By now, you would have known that the camping tents come in different shapes,sizes and of course, feature. There are tent that are only designed for solo camping trip and on the other hand, there are tents are designed to accommodate a bunch of people – up to 8 people or 10 people or even more. So, if you have been looking for large family camping tent, below, we have handpicked 10 best large family tents that are even affordable.
Most of the time, we set out on a camping trip with our closed group that usually consists of 2-3 people. While other times, we want to rekindle our love for the wilderness with a bigger group or usually with our family. For that reason, we need accommodation that can shelter each one of us and provide every bit of comfort we seek. Well, if you have just decided this go on a trip with your family, a family camping tent is what that can save you from those absurdly priced hotel rooms. Of course, you can always choose to carry multiple tents but would it really feel like camping when the campers are supposed to stay from each other? A family camping tent will offer you enough space to house a greater number of people at one time. For that reason, we have compiled the list of the best family camping tent you can choose to buy before departing out on a camping trip.
Table Of Content
- 1 Benefits Of A Large Family Tent
- 2 Best Camping Tent For Families
- 2.1 1. Ozark Trail 20′ x 10′ Dark Rest Instant Cabin Tent for 12 Persons
- 2.2 2. Core Equipment 12 Person Instant Cabin Tent 18×10
- 2.3 3. Ozark Trail 15-Person 3 Room Split Plan Instant Cabin
- 2.4 4. Coleman Prairie Breeze Lighted Cabin 9-Person Large Family Tent
- 2.5 5. Ozark Trail 10-Person 3-Room Vacation Large Tent
- 2.6 6. Bushnell Shield Series 9 Person 15×9 Instant Cabin Tent
- 2.7 7. Wenzel Klondike 8 Person 16×11 Large Camping Tent
- 2.8 8. Coleman Red Canyon 8 Person 17×10 Camping Tent
- 2.9 9. Ozark Trail 12-Person 20×18 Instant Cabin Tent with Screen Room
- 2.10 10. Ozark Trail 11 Person 17×15 Instant Hexagon Cabin Tent
- 3 Large Family Tents – Buying Guide
Benefits Of A Large Family Tent
No matter how many people are accompanying you, it is always a good idea to carry a large family tent. Check out some of the benefits of a large family tent.
- Plenty of storage – The best thing about family camping tents is that these tents provide plenty of storage space to house a number of people. No matter whether you are going out with 4 people or 10 people, you won’t have to worry about their accommodation. Besides this, these tents can easily fit at least two or three queen-sized mattresses to let them relax. On the other hand, you get plenty of internal storage where you can keep your additional gears in an organized way. So, space never turns out to be an issue in your camping expedition.
- Privacy – For your kids when they want their own room, these family tents don’t disappoint them. For two families who are traveling together, the big family tents for camping offer them their own privacy. These tents let you separate the entire area into two or three different room and some of them even feature separate entry and exit to not disturb the sleeping people in other room. There always remains flexibility of privacy and you can enjoy your own privacy or solitude.
- Ventilation – The presence of a number of windows inside the tent allows the good flow of air and the presence of ground vents let the hot air escape. That’s why the process of ventilation is always good in big family tents. Proper ventilation is important when you have a large group of people camping together. The mesh windows ensure that you have proper air circulation inside the tent.
- Durable – Large Camping Tents are designed and constructed using high-quality material and for that reason, they are quite durable. They will stick by your side for over years and still make your camping trip more of a fun. These tents are so durable that they can withstand any weather whether its rainy or stormy. The best part about these tents is that they are quite easy to set up. Since the poles come pre-attached, you can unpack and lay it down to set it up in under two minutes.
Best Camping Tent For Families
1. Ozark Trail 20′ x 10′ Dark Rest Instant Cabin Tent for 12 Persons
When it comes to quality and sturdy tents, Ozark remains at the forefront. Ozark Trail 20′ x 10′ Dark Rest Instant Cabin Tent for 12 Persons is one of the best family camping tents. Featuring a center height of 80”, this tent offers plenty of space to accommodate 12 persons. This big tent for camping can easily fit 4 queen-sized mattresses and that’s not all. Pre-attached poles in the tent make it quite easy to pitch in and it does not matter when you arrive at your campsite, you are sure not to face any sort of complications. This tent for family comes with two-room dividers so you can respect each other’s privacy and spend some alone time. The high-quality stakes, made with steel, make it perfect for any weather.
Features of Ozark Trail Dark Rest Instant Cabin Large Tent for 12 Persons
Check out some of the impressive features of Ozark Trail 20′ x 10′ Dark Rest Instant Cabin Tent for 12 Persons:
- It can easily accommodate 12 persons.
- Easy to set up because poles come pre-attached to the tent.
- 2 room dividers that are detachable to respect privacy.
- It can easily fit 4 queen-sized beds.
2. Core Equipment 12 Person Instant Cabin Tent 18×10
Featuring an 18’ x 10’ floor, the family camping tent can easily shelter 12 persons along with your “too-much camping gears”. With a center height of 80″, you don’t have to bend to pass through the gates and trust me, that’s big relief for the people with great height. Along with that, if you are wondering about quick set up, setting up this big family tent is no hassle since the poles come pre-attached. Featuring a two removable room divider, the tent can be separated into three big sections and each member can have its own privacy. The tent has two different entryways. You can either enter from T-shaped door or side door.
Features of Core Equipment 12 Person Instant Cabin Large Tent For Family
Below, we have listed down some amazing features that convinced us to put this tent into our list of the best family camping tents.
- The tent is quite easy to set up. You can easily set up this tent in less than two minutes.
- Coming to the ventilation, Large vents attract the cold air and let the hot air pass through it.
- Featuring H20 Block technology, the fabric of the tent does not let the water and moisture seep inside the tent.
- The tent comes with rainfly that is removable to let you gaze at an influx of stars under the clear skyline.
- This large family tent also brags about the electrical cord.
3. Ozark Trail 15-Person 3 Room Split Plan Instant Cabin
Ozark Trail 15-Person 3 Room Split Plan Instant Cabin is one of those spacious family tents out there. This tent comes with 84-inch ceiling height which gives people enough space to stand straight. Well, since this is an instant tent, it can be easily set up in less than two minutes. All you have to do is unpack, unfold and lay down the tent to let it take its shape. This tent comes with an additional awning to keep your space dry and protected. Talking about the space, the tent comes offers incredible space and you can house up to 15 persons in this tent. Yes, that’s how the big this tent is. Featuring 6 mesh windows, this tent ensures that there is good flow of air inside the tent. Definitely, ventilation is not a big deal in this large camping tent for family.
Features of Ozark Trail 15-Person 3 Room Split Plan Instant Cabin Large Tent
Check out the features of the Ozark Trail 15-Person 3 Room Split Plan Instant Cabin Tent.
- Advanced set up. Thanks to the pre-attached poles.
- 6 mesh windows providing you with good ventilation.
- The tent comes with an additional awning.
- Can be converted into three separate sections.
- Multiple internal pockets to keep your stuff organized.
4. Coleman Prairie Breeze Lighted Cabin 9-Person Large Family Tent
Don’t let the darkness spoil your fun. Let the party going on with Coleman Prairie Breeze Lighted Cabin 9-Person Tent that features built-in LED lights and fans. This giant tent for family features WeatherTec Technology which means that even if it rains, it will stand no chance against this tent. The hassle-free set up of this tent is one of the reasons that we have included this tent into our list of the best tents for family. The huge space it provides can cater to the need of 9 persons, where the campers can relax and clam down their body for the next day’s hiking. Six oversized windows are a great fit for the enhanced ventilation and for those seeking for some beautiful landscapes around them.
Features of Coleman Prairie Breeze Lighted Cabin 9-Person Family Tent
When it comes down the features, this huge family tent does not disappoint at all. Below we have mentioned down some amazing features that this tent brags about:
- The tent features 7 feet at center height and easily fit 2 queen-sized mattresses.
- Featuring WeatherTec Technology, the tent does not let water peep inside the space.
- Great LED lighting inside the tent alongside an integrated fan for hot days.
- Quite easy to set up.
- The tent comes with other amenities like storage pockets, six windows for a panoramic view and E-port for electrical power.
5. Ozark Trail 10-Person 3-Room Vacation Large Tent
Featuring dimensions of 20×10, Ozark Trail 10-Person 3-Room Vacation Tent provides ample of space to your whole group where they can also keep their camping gears. For those people who want privacy, the big family tent comes with room dividers that divide the whole area into the sections. So, there is always flexibility of privacy. The tent features mesh roof along with windows for the great ventilation system. The mesh roof lets you gaze at stars and if you think that it is going to rain soon, you can also cover the roof with a rainfly that is waterproofed. This family camp tent can easily fit 10 people and fit three queen-sized mattresses.
Features of Ozark Trail 10-Person 3-Room Vacation Family Tent
Ozark Trail 10-Person 3-Room Vacation Tent is one of the best tents that you can always consider buying. Check out what makes this tent stand out from the crowd.
- The tent features a canopy that offers you shade on a sunny day.
- 7 windows offer enhanced ventilation.
- The tent comes with a mud mat that prevents your tent’s interior space from getting filthy and wet.
- Featuring shoe pocket, you can easily keep your shoe that is already drenched in dirt or mud.
6. Bushnell Shield Series 9 Person 15×9 Instant Cabin Tent
Laced with a Heatshield technology, this tent features a special reflecting coating that beneath the rainfly to protect you against the high UV rays of the sun on a bright day. Along with this, the tent comes with weather shield technology that can withstand the heaviest of the downpour. Talking about the setup, this giant family tent can be set up in less than 60 seconds and all thanks to its patented setup technology. This tent comes with internal storage pockets where you can keep your additional stuff well organized.
Features of Bushnell Shield Series 9 Person 15×9 Instant Cabin Large Tent
- This tent provides ample space to shelter 9 campers at one time.
- The tent features 7 windows for good and continuous airflow.
- Featuring Heat Shield Technology, the tent is capable enough to reflect the UV rays of the sun.
- The tent comes with 22 metal stakes, made of steel for withstanding any sort of weather.
7. Wenzel Klondike 8 Person 16×11 Large Camping Tent
Wenzel Klondike 8 Person 16×11 Large Camping Tent is one of the most versatile tents for those family that doesn’t need enough space. Featuring 98 square feet of space, this tent can easily house up to 9 people. With a center height of 6’5 inches, you won’t have to face any sort of complications while standing straight inside the tent. The amazing family camping tent comes with a screen room where you can savor the delights of weather while having a bit of Gibble-gabble among yourself. For the ventilation, the tent comes with two windows that let the breeze inside the tent.
Features of Wenzel Klondike 8 Person 16×11 Large Camping Tent
Check out some of the amazing features of Wenzel Klondike 8 Person 16×11 Large Camping Tent –
- Center height at 78 feet means the tallest person in your group can stand straight.
- The tent can easily house 9 campers.
- Main room with 98 square feet and the screen room comes with 60 square feet.
- Features 6 windows for good ventilation.
8. Coleman Red Canyon 8 Person 17×10 Camping Tent
Coleman has become one of the best purveyors of the camping tent in the industry. This family tent from Coleman can accommodate 8 people and provide enough space to keep their camping gears. Laced with a WeatherTec System, the tent makes sure that your space remains dry always. Also, for the fast pitching of the tent, the tent features some color code that lets the campers to steadily pitch their tent. For those campers who wish to have their own privacy, the room dividers separate the whole area into the three different rooms.
Features of Coleman Red Canyon 8 Person 17×10 Camping Tent
Below, we have listed down some of the most impressive specifications of this huge family camping tent –
- The tent measures 17×10 dimensions that provide ample space to the campers.
- This tent from Coleman is quite easy to set since the color-coded thing does a really great job.
- Waterproof flooring and waterproof rainfly do not let your interior get wet.
9. Ozark Trail 12-Person 20×18 Instant Cabin Tent with Screen Room
Featuring cabin-style tent, this large family tent can be set up in less than two minutes. The best thing about this family tent is that it provides ample space to your family or friends alongside their camping gears. The tent is capable enough to accommodate 12 persons at a time. Since the poles come pre-attached to the tents, you can set up this tent in a jiffy. The tent features three separate rooms where you can have access to the outdoor area while 8 large widows are crafted to offer you a panoramic view and good flow of air. For additional storage, the large tent for family comes with six internal pockets.
Features of Ozark Trail 12-Person Instant Cabin Big Tent with Screen Room
Go through our section of Ozark Trail 12-Person 20×18 Instant Cabin Tent features where we have mentioned in brief some of the outstanding features of this tent:
- The tent can be divided into three rooms and each room has its own door for the entry and exit.
- This tent can easily fit 3 queen-sized mattresses where the campers can calm down their bodies.
- This family Tent from Ozark also features an electrical access cord.
- The presence of multiple ground vents enhances the process of ventilation.
10. Ozark Trail 11 Person 17×15 Instant Hexagon Cabin Tent
This Ozark Trail 11 Person 17×15 Instant Hexagon Cabin Tent features advanced setup technique that lets the campers set up this tent in less than 2 minutes. Featuring the dimension of 17×15, this tent offers ample space to campers and easily accommodate 11 people or you can fit 2 queen-sized mattresses inside this tent. Well, the shape of this tent is uncommon and different from the rest of the tents. Featuring a porched area, the tent makes sure that you keep your tent’s interior space dry and clean. This large family tent also comes with an e-port giving electric access to all your devices.
Features of Ozark Trail 11 Person 17×15 Instant Hexagon Cabin Large Tent
- The tent features 2 doors – 1 in front and 1 in the backside of the tent.
- Since this is an instant tent so the set up is really fast.
- The tent comes with extra-large windows and vents for the good flow of air inside the tent.
Large Family Tents – Buying Guide
While you might hardly be able to notice any sort of difference in the tents but trust me, there are a bunch of it. Well, if you have convinced yourself to get a new camping tent, there are a lot of variables that you are supposed to consider. For that reason, we have listed down some tip and things that you always have to consider while buying a new tent. Check out our buying guide to large family tents that will help you in taking the right decision when it comes to buying a new tent.
- Height – The first thing that you should be considering is the center height of the tent. While camping is meant to roam freely and what if you can’t even stand straight inside your tent? Well, that’s something you don’t want. For this, always consider what is the center height of the tent and well, it should be higher than the tallest person in your group so that neither of you has any sort of trouble passing through the tent. A large tent will offer you an amazing experience by not letting you bend every time you wish to come out of the tent.
- Tent Doors – The next thing that you need to look at before buying large family tents is how many doors are there and how they are placed. The improper positioning of the door might dampen your camping experience. Also, there are many tents that come with more than a single door for a separate room. The hinged doors are considered ideal when it comes to the camping tent since they enhance the ventilation process and let you come out of the tent in an effortless way.
- Ventilation – Like any other thing, you want to make sure that your tent has proper ventilation. For this, you need to look at the number of windows that your tent features along with the ground vents. The presence of multiple windows and ground vents will enhance the ventilation process. If your tent is short on mesh windows, it means that the flow of air would not be better enough for campers and you will feel a bit of congestion inside the tent.
- Rainfly – Most of the big and large family tents come with rainfly. When you feel like it is going to rain, a rainfly is the only escape that will not let you drenched. Rainfly does not let the water peep inside the tent, making your tent dry and clean. So, make sure that your tent has a rainfly and if it does not come with your tent, you can buy it separately. Remember, a rainfly is a must when you know the weather can take an extreme turn.
The rooms measure about 6.7’x 3.4′ each. If you were to take down one room divider, then one room would be 13.4’x 6.8′ and the other would remain 6.7’x3.4.
Yes, the doors have a screen.
No, it doesn’t.
There are 4 hooks-one in each corner that attaches on to the tent.
It has two doors – one on the short end (under the awning), and the other on the long side, next to the awning.