The craze of vehicle camping has increased immensely among camping lovers. However, SUV camping is the most popular among them. And to make the dream come true of may adventure enthusiasts SUV Tent come into play. If planning for a road trip or off-grid camping then these tents make it a unique and overwhelming experience. Further, you can have a safe and shaded shelter at the back of your vehicle. The tent can fit a maximum of 6 people. Moreover, you can take full advantage of the space and mobility offered by your SUV.
A vehicle tent can crank a whopping 5 years without a hitch. This is because the tent is built with durability which can withstand any weather condition
What kind of an SUV Camping Tent will be suitable for your vehicle? With plenty of models available, select the right tent for SUV among the top 10 tents. Some of the brands designing the best tents are Napier, Ozark, Rightline, etc.
Table Of Content
- 1 Top 10 SUV Tents to buy in 2020
- 1.1 1. Napier Backroadz SUV Tent
- 1.2 2. Honda Odyssey SUV Tent
- 1.3 3. Rightline Gear SUV Tent
- 1.4 4. Napier Sports Outdoor #84000 SUV Tent
- 1.5 5. Smittybilt SUV Tent
- 1.6 6. KingCamp Melfi Plus SUV Tent
- 1.7 7. Ozark Trail SUV Tent
- 1.8 8. Napier Sportz Cove 61500 SUV/Minivan Tent
- 1.9 9. Add-a-Cabana SUV Tent
- 1.10 10. SUV Tent for Beach Camping
- 2 Points to Ponder upon before Buying the SUV Tent – Buyer’s Guide
- 3 FAQs
Top 10 SUV Tents to buy in 2020
Here we are providing the most popular SUV Tents. You can check all the features and specifications of these tents. In addition, the pros and cons will help you make the right decision. So, the next time if you are planning for camping then does carry the tent for making it an amazing experience. Check out the list of top 10 tents for SUV below:
1. Napier Backroadz SUV Tent
This tent is a perfect choice for campers who want to utilize their vehicle with a tent.
Backroadz SUV style Tent is eye-catching. It can be easily attached to the canvas and sleeves of your rear SUV model. Crafted from polyester this tent is thus suitable for any weather condition. Moreover, this tent is best for small places.
Features of Napier Backroadz SUV Tent
The spacious 9 x9 Napier tent provides over 7’ of headroom and accommodates 5 persons. You may turn it into a standalone tent. Thus it is two in one investment. Its universal sleeve fits into all CUV’s, SUVs, and Minivans. There are 3 mesh windows that bring light and fresh air and offer optimal ventilation. The tent has a large door with a storm flap for privacy and weather protection. The Mesh Bug Screen ensures that no insect enters the tent while you are resting. Furthermore, the Napier Backroadz Minivan Tent has a watertight-bathtub style floor and waterproof rainfly. It seamlessly connects to the cargo area of your vehicle, offering convenient and additional storage solutions. The material used for making it is safe and durable. Additionally, the tent is easily portable due to its lightweight.
Specifications of Napier Backroadz SUV Tent
- The dimension of this Napier tent is 108 x 108 x 84 inches providing a huge space to fit 5 adults.
- It weighs 13.2 pounds which let you carry it anywhere you plan to go.
Pros And Cons of Napier Backroadz SUV Tent
2. Honda Odyssey SUV Tent
The tent design fits perfectly with the 2005 – 2013 Honda Odyssey model. You can park and set up the SUV tent shortly thereafter. It provides full access to the vehicle while setting in place. It is great for tailgate parties while driving the Honda vehicle or as a shaded environment for outdoor gatherings.
Features of Honda Odyssey SUV Tent
The material used for making the Honda Odyssey Tent is a high-class polyester. The tent comes with a 1200 mm waterproof protection. 6” x 6” rainfly extends the usable area and provides added protection for the entire roof. It can easily adjust 6 people. Moreover, you have full access to the vehicle while standing inside the tent. The floor of this tent is high quality double-coated ripstop polyethylene. The poles are durable as well as heavy. Honda Odyssey SUV shaped Tent can also be detached from the vehicle for day trips and can be used as a stand-alone ground tent.
Specifications of Honda Odyssey SUV Tent
- This tent for SUV has a dimension of 29 x 10 x 10 inches that offers a large space for you and your family or friends.
- It is comparatively heavy weighing 27.8 pounds.
- The rooftop is protected with a 6 x 6 inches rainfly.
Pros And Cons of Honda Odyssey SUV Tent
3. Rightline Gear SUV Tent
Do you love camping but don’t want to sleep on the ground. Rightline Gear Minivan Tent is here to rescue you. It is one of the most reliable tents in the market. You can trust the manufacturer with all aspects of its design. Furthermore, this tent connects to the back of an SUV or minivan. The tent features a distinctive gray and orange color scheme with a company logo.
Features of Rightline Gear SUV Tent
This Rightline SUV style Tent is free standing with the indoor dimension of 8 x 8 x 7.2inches. It can comfortably fit 4 adults and the cargo section can adjust 2 more adults. The water-resistant fabric, as well as tape sealed seams, protects you from the elements. The tent has a reinforced PE bathtub floor. Therefore, eliminating the requirement of the ground tarp. Rightline Gear SUV Tent is easy to set up and ensures that bugs do not become a bother. The storm cover provides maximum protection and privacy to you. Moreover, this tent comes with a rainfly, carry bad and sewn-in guide for your convenience. In addition, there is a side gear pocket, a lantern hook, and glow in the dark zippers.
Specifications of Rightline Gear SUV Tent
- This SUV style tent offers space for maximum of 6 persons and has an overall dimension of 27.6 x 18.9 x 9.9 inches.
- The tent weighs 19.9 pounds.
- No requirement of ground tarp because of the PE bathtub floor.
Pros And Cons of Rightline Gear SUV Tent
4. Napier Sports Outdoor #84000 SUV Tent
The Napier Sports Outdoor #84000 SUV style Tent has a host of features and tops in terms of quality. The expansive shelter makes it an ideal tent for you and your family to bring on every adventure. The blue and white color scheme grabs the attention of every customer. This Napier Sportz SUV style Tent is not only beautifully designed but is also attractive. By far it is one of the best vehicle tents which attaches to your SUV.
Features of Napier Sports Outdoor #84000 SUV Minivan Tent
Napier Sports SUV Tent is a spacious10 x 10 tent. It can fit 5-6 adults with over 7 feet of headroom. The vehicle sleeve is designed to fit most of the vehicles. If you need more space then attach it to your car to fit even 8 adults. You can also use it as a big, standalone tent. One of the best features of this tent is the screen room which offers a shade of 7 x 6 foot. And the other is the side awning which provides a perfect place for setting up the picnic table. The material of the tent is water-resistant and the floor is durable as it is made up of Polyethylene. The steel and fiberglass pole structure is the new feature of this tent which makes it sturdy and robust like the Jeep Liberty Tent. The 1 door and 3 windows with a storm flap ensure protection and privacy. Sportz tent can be set up by a single person. Further, it comes with an expandable for storage.
Specifications of Napier Sports Outdoor SUV Tent
- Having a dimension of 32 x 14 x 14 inches, this tent is considered as the best SUV camping tent.
- Napier Sportz SUV Tent has a weight of 53 pounds.
Pros And Cons of Napier Sports Outdoor #84000 SUV Tent
5. Smittybilt SUV Tent
Buying the Smittybilt SUV style Tent Few is more rewarding than camping in the backcountry with family and friends. This tent is packed a number of features at an affordable price. It is the only SUV roof tent on the list. You can camp outdoors with this tent in any season and will surely feel protected and fortunate.
Features of Smittybilt SUV Tent
This camping Minivan tent attaches to the roof of your vehicle. It just takes a few minutes to set up this massive. The tent is a standard size which adjusts 2 or 3 sleep. A foam mattress provides comfortable slumber space. Smittybilt’s vehicle tent comes with a ladder for easy access. The LED strip is a unique feature that deals with lighting issues. The window and skylight offer you a beautiful night sky. Further, the windows contain a rainfly that protects you from the storms. The telescopic legs provide maximum support to the structure. There are various pockets inside the tent for keeping your stuff. The inner door flap offers easy access to the vehicle. This tent is completely waterproof.
Specifications of Smittybilt SUV Tent
- The dimension of the Smittybilt SUV style Tent is 36 x 6 x 6 inches.
- It is a lightweight tent which weighs only 10 pounds.
- In order to provide great support to the tent, manufacturers have built telescopic legs.
Pros and Cons of Smittybilt SUV Tent
Related: Smittybilt Rooftop Tent
6. KingCamp Melfi Plus SUV Tent
This tent for SUV offers huge space. Thus, making it an excellent one for family outings and gatherings. The price is a bit higher. However, having this vehicle tent is worth your money. KingCamp Melfi Plus SUV Tent is the epitome of comfortable and wonderful camping.
Features of KingCamp Melfi Plus SUV Tent
When it comes to space, this camping Minivan tent provides 2 rooms with sufficient sleeping area. It has reinforced and durable design. Hence, it can stand up against storms. The frame is sturdy and light. Moreover, this tent is completely waterproof as it comes with a flysheet made up of 190T polyester material with PU coating. In addition, KingCamp Melfi Plus SUV Tent is also fireproof. Therefore, barbeque is not out of the question with this tent. Consisting of 3 doors and meshed windows, the tent lets you breathe in the fresh air.
Specifications of KingCamp Melfi Plus SUV Tent
- It is a massive tent with a dimension of 202.7 x 118.1 x 78.7 inches.
- The material used to make this tent guarantees waterproof security.
- The blue and white color combination attracts the buyer’s eyes.
Pros and Cons of KingCamp Melfi Plus SUV Tent
7. Ozark Trail SUV Tent
Ozark Trail SUV Tent is an excellent choice for first-time campers, year-round camping, family outings, group events, picnics, or music festivals. You can create extra outdoor entertaining space at your campsite, beach or even in your own backyard with this Ozark camping tent. It helps in making your camping an extraordinary experience.
Features of Ozark Trail SUV Tent
The bundle package comes with Ozark Trail Qual Folding Table with cup holders. Ozark SUV style tent can fit 5 people as it has a huge space. It is a free-standing dome tent that easily attached to your vehicle. Moreover, during the hot summers, you can detach the rain cover so as to allow fresh air inside. This camping tent for your SUV contains various pockets for storing your stuff. There is the vestibule which protects yours from stiff winds and heavy rain.
Specifications of Ozark Trail SUV Tent
- It is spacious.
- The vestibule attached to this tent ensures you complete protection.
Pros and Cons of Ozark Trail SUV Tent
8. Napier Sportz Cove 61500 SUV/Minivan Tent
It is a smaller and economical tent which perfect for a small group. Napier Sportz Cove 61500 Minivan Tent has an eye-catching design. Capers can travel with ease and confidence with this SUV camping tent.
Features of Napier Sportz Cove 61500 SUV/Minivan Tent
You can attach this Napier camping tent to all SUVs and minivans. Polyester taffeta construction attracts buyers. This tent is built to provide protection while you are busy catching fishes and tailgating. It features a mesh bug screen that keeps out insects and bugs from entering it. The built-in storm flap offers privacy and protects from bad weather conditions. A 2L ft. an awning is included with this Napier tent.
Specifications of Napier Sportz Cove 61500 SUV/Minivan Tent
- With a weight of just 7 pounds, this Napier SUV style Tent is easily portable.
- You also get a 2 L ft. Awning is completey free with the tent.
Pros and Cons of Napier Sportz Cove 61500 SUV/Minivan Tent
9. Add-a-Cabana SUV Tent
This SUV camping tent has a completely different design than other tents. It comes in black and tan color. Add-a-Cabana is one of the best tents for your SUV in the market. With efficient space, the tent offers you to do some simple tasks and is ideal for the beach to change your clothes into the wetsuit.
Features of Add-a-Cabana SUV Tent
This vehicle tent is small in size and lightweight. Thus, making the set up easy and quick. Once installed the sides stand 6 feet tall. Moreover, this SUV style Tent provides maximum protection from unwelcoming climatic conditions. The PVC material used in the tent enhances its durability.
Specifications of Add-a-Cabana SUV Tent
- Weighing just 4 pounds, this is a must-have product in the list of campers.
- You can totally trust the tent when it comes to durability.
Pros and Cons of Add-a-Cabana SUV Tent
10. SUV Tent for Beach Camping
This tent is ideal for camping near the beachside, car travel, sporting events, and festivals. It acts more of a shade tent for your SUV. This tent is a multi-purpose tent which not only fits your SUVs but also to MPVs, trucks, and hatchbacks. Furthermore, you can turn this tent into the gazebo in a pinch.
Features of SUV Tent for Beach Camping
With this beach tent, you get different shade areas for different use. Moreover, Its large size protects you from harmful UV rays, rain, and wind and allows you to even have tables, kids, and pets. As far the privacy is concerned, you can adjust the height of the outboard end all the way to the ground when needed. The ripstop is made up of 210T Polyester fabric which makes this camping tent durable. All thanks to the air vents located at the peak which allows the breeze to flow through. Also, the large mesh windows are there which provides circulation of air.
Specifications of SUV Tent for Beach Camping
- With the dimension of 137.8 x 41.3 x 94.5 inches this tent offers you complete protection from the sun and rain.
- It is a lightweight vehicle tent that weighs 8.9 pounds.
- It is highly durable as the ripstop is made up of 210T polyester.
Pros and Cons of SUV Tent for Beach Camping
Points to Ponder upon before Buying the SUV Tent – Buyer’s Guide
It is chiefly important for all the camping fans and those who indulge in various outdoor activities to look for the best in their SUV Tents. Often people buy products without considering the key points. As a result, they are left with only disappointment. Therefore, before braking your bank balance to buy any of the vehicle tents, you must ponder upon the following points. They will surely let you make the right decision.
- Intended Use: The first and foremost thing before you go out to buy a tent is to be clear about your plans and duration. Having an answer to this question will certainly allow you to pick the right vehicle tent. Further, the experience you will gain by having this product will be somewhat out of this world.
- Material: Obviously, everyone wants to spend on a product that ensures durability. Therefore, it is essential to look for the materials used in the construction of the tent. One should search out for the tent which is made up of the best fabric. Hence, offering protection from rugged outdoors and complete privacy. Tents made up of Polyethylene and Polyester are highly recommended as they have no side effects on individual health and provides privacy.
- Price: You should carefully opt for the tent for SUV keeping in mind your budget. Do not get lured by the price thinking that the expensive one will provide the best features. Most of the good quality camping SUV tents are available at affordable prices offering great features. Choose accordingly will make you happy from both inside and outside.
- Size: While selecting the appropriate size of SUV style Tent one should keep in mind two factors. The first one is the size of SUV and the other one is how many people will share the same tent. These two factors are very crucial in deciding the perfect size of the tent. Some of the tents fit 2 people whereas some can fit even 6.
- Features: The last and the main point that helps you select the right tent is the features possessed by the SUV tent. You should basically go for the one which fulfills all your desires and comes with amazing features. Easy to set up, waterproof, durable are some of the features among hordes of them. Ensuring your tent offers all the required features will automatically let you choose the tent without any hassle.
The idea of tents being used with your SUV combines the efficiency with the functionality. Thus, owning an SUV style Tent provides a lifetime camping experience which is completely different from the traditional camping. Check the top 10 SUV camping tents available in the market above. Every tent is unique and has its own perks. Wisely choose the tent with impressive features that satisfies your needs. I hope this time your camping turns out to be the best one with any of the above tents. Happy Camping.
Yes, you can.
You can close the rear hatch door of the vehicle with the tent sleeve still attached. You can also detach the sleeve portion, zip the opening of the tent closed and drive your vehicle away if needed. The SUV Tent will remain standing on its own.
Yes. The tent should work with side opening doors. As long as your vehicle is not over 7-foot roof height.
It includes a rainfly. It covers the entire top of the tent to prevent rain from penetrating the roof of the tent.
All windows can be closed over screens so you have privacy even with the awning up.
No, it does not have rain flaps only the tent part.
The ladder is going to be outside the annex.
You will need to remove it each time if you want the tent to fit in the cover correctly. Annex room works wonderfully as a dressing room and an area to keep your bags while camping.
Yes, this tent has a floor, that made of PE.
It is approximately 9’X9′ at the base and 88″ tall while it’s freestanding.
It is 24.25″ x 12.25″ x 9.25″.
No, the back hatch door has to be open for the awning to work properly.
Yes, a single person can install an SUV camping tent very easily. One of the best things about almost all SUV tents is that they are very easy to set up and remove. You can easily assemble the tent on your own. You may require some assistance with a few complex tents to set them up but most of the tents can be set up by an individual.